Pages

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Parmesan Popovers

Popovers
Kitty was almost as excited as I was to see these beauties come out of the oven.

First popovers.
Final product.

I've been looking over popover recipes since the October 2009 issue of Gourmet Magazine came out. They did a fun looking fall spread at a mountain cabin setting with a bunch of really thin, beautiful models who you know can't be eating tins and tins of popovers... Anyway. Everything they made for that meal made my mouth water, especially the Provolone Popovers. I have never eaten popovers before, let alone made them, but I was curious. We never have milk in our house, so it hasn't been a recipe I could just last minute whip up. Since the holidays, I think Rachel and I have both had to buy a lot of milk for various recipes, so there's an abundance of dairy in our fridge now.

This morning, I woke up and started googling "popover recipes" on my iPhone, then remembered the October Gourmet out in my living room. When I found the recipe again, it definitely seemed like the simplest of all the ones I'd been scouting. I also wasn't planning on letting my batter rest for the 60+ minutes recommended. I didn't have provolone, but I did have the all important catalyst, parmesan, and some sharp white cheddar which I decided could pretend to be provolone. They turned out beautiful, delicious, and didn't even stick to the pan! Jake and Phil were leaving to go boating at 9:30, and I managed to toss a couple steaming hot morsels at them as they walked out. This was a super simple recipe that I will make again and again! Rachel brought home the beautiful muffin tin from her grandmother's after Christmas. It's the perfect size for a 25 minute bake. The recipe below yielded two exact batches in her 8 small muffin tin.

Full recipe found here, on Gourmet.com.

No comments: