I've been training for my new job this week over at Montgomery Park and it's a long, cold bike ride home for me, compared to coming home from the State Building down the street. Tonight, I was starving before I even left the office, and it would have been very easy to just grab a salad or pasta dish from the deli section of the market, but instead I held out about 30 more minutes for this awesome pizza. This is a super time saver, and can be completed in, like I said, about thirty minutes. A great substitute for the Jiffy Pizza Dough in this recipe is Trader Joe's pizza dough that comes in the bag. Honestly, I hate that stuff - it never rests/rises properly and I am fighting it on the pan - BUT, a lot of my girlfriends love it.
- Box of Jiffy Pizza Dough Mix (the little blue boxes that cost about $.40)
- A couple cups of low fat mozzarella (I bought the pre-shredded kind at Whole Foods, which was cheaper than the blocks)
- Some marinara sauce (or canned pizza sauce, I just already has a jar of 365 Garlic and Basil Pasta Sauce open)
- 1/2 lb Chicken Sausage (Basil and Garlic from the Whole Foods deli is only $5.69/lb - but I would also just use tofu chunks here)
- 1 yukon gold potato (I love my carbs with my carbs)
- 4 or 5 sweet piquante peppers (bulk sections sometimes have these)
- Follow directions on Jiffy Dough Box. While the dough is resting, and the oven pre-heating, heat a skillet to med/high heat and brown the chicken sausage (or tofu chunks) for 7-8 minutes.
- Finely slice peppers into little strips, and with a very sharp knife, slice the potato into the thinnest pieces possible. If you have a mandolin, you probably want to use that, but using my knife with a fresh sharpening job, I made my slices as thin as a piece of paper, which is thinner than my mandolin.
- Smear some sauce on the crust, add cheese, sausage, peppers, finish with potatoes (makes sure they get cooked if they are on the top), and more cheese.
- Bake at 425F for approximately 13 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
YUM. This tastes really good with fresh avocado on top too.