Investigating the bundle of basil.
Furiously chopping sweet onion.
Preparing the salsa.
Mango Salsa and Qunioa (Meat Optional)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 16 oz can of butter beans (lima beans)
- 1 large mango
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 2 limes
- 6 cloves garlic
- Bunch of fresh basil (or fresh coriander)
- Spicy peppers
- 2 tbls EVOO
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Chicken breast
- Coarsely chop half of the onion and finely chop the garlic. In a large skillet, on medium heat, toss onion, garlic and EVOO for 8-10 minutes.
- Add quinoa and 1 cup water to the skillet. Cover and let the mixture sit for about ten minutes, then add the tomatoes and butter beans. Lower heat to low/simmer and cover for another ten to fifteen minutes.
- Coarsely chop the remaining onion and the mango and avocado. Finely chop a cup of basil and the peppers. Toss all the ingredients together with lime juice and set aside.
- Stir the quinoa mixture and season to taste with cayenne and cumin. If the quinoa is not quite soft enough, add a couple tablespoons of lime juice and simmer for another five minutes.
- Dish up the quinoa with mango salsa on top and finish with chicken breast if you like. We bought a rotisserie chicken from Safeway to go with ours. Haha.
The best part of this recipe is the leftovers. Chill all the ingredients and serve cold for an amazing lunch. The flavors hold themselves more independently when chilled. Yum yum!